I've been neglecting the 'ole bliggity blog lately and I haven't been able to participate in IF lately either (insert frowny face!), but I was tagged by fellow illustrator, Edrian Thomidis, so I'm carving out a little time to post 7 things about myself. Ack! I'm like Edrian, my life is pretty normal and boring, but here goes:
1. My last name is actually Seven. It's not a "stage" name that I made up. It is my married name and came from when my husband's ancestors came over to America from Luxemborg and their name, Sewen, was changed to Seven on Ellis island. It is unusual to have a number for a name, but it's great fun to make dinner reservations - I need a table for 7 at 7:00 and the name is Seven!
2. I was born and raised in the Midwest (Indiana), but I've lived in the Pacific Northwest for over 20 years and I love it here.
3. I quit eating meat in April of last year. My daughter had gone with her 8th grade class to a lecture by the Dalia Lama, his Seeds of Compassion tour. She wasn't too impressed by the speech, he was hard to understand and the acoustics were poor, but they gave out a pamphlet on the conditions in farms that raise animals to be slaughtered and it was a real wake up call to us both. I had also just seen a bumper sticker that read "I don't eat anything with a face". Those 2 things combined made us decide to go meatless. We do still eat fish and seafood, we need the protein!
4. I worked in the Visual Merchandising Dept of a major dept store for 14 years before I started my greeting card and illustration business. The store I worked for, The Bon Marche, has since been bought out by Macy's.
5. I went to 3 different colleges before I finally got my degree in fine art from the University of Oregon.
6. I lived in the town of Bend in Central OR for 5 years after I graduated. I had a great time there, working, skiing and roller skating around town. It was a wonderful place to live and I sometimes wish I would have stayed there forever!
7. I would really like to illustrate a children's book some day!
Now I'm supposed to tag 7 other people to share 7 things about themselves, but I just don't have the time to figure out who to tag that hasn't already been tagged and find their links, etc. so, let's just say, if you are reading this - consider yourself tagged!